Last item for navigation

*For travel card program information visit the Purchasing Department page under Travel Program and Meal Card tabs.  You must be logged in to access.*  Contact:  Assistant Director of Purchasing at 817.215.0023

mileage rate

Travel & Expense Reimbursement
Contact:  Financial Services, 817.215.0024

Northwest Independent School District will reimburse for reasonable, allowable expenses incurred in conjunction with authorized district activities.

Approval for travel is required in advance by the appropriate campus/department supervisor. A discretionary form is included in this section, for travel request approval from the supervisor (see Request for Professional Development Training form).

The following information identifies travel considerations and allowable travel expenditures/reimbursements. It is the discretion of the campus/department budget authority whether the allowable expense is paid or reimbursed by the district.

An employee submitting a reimbursement request for expenses is claiming the expenses were personally incurred, associated with approved travel, related to Northwest ISD business and have not been previously charged to the district nor previously submitted for reimbursement.

Reimbursements for travel and related expenses will not occur until after the travel/event has taken place.

Expenses beyond what is allowable are at the expense of the employee.

Request for Professional Development Training

Discretionary form for use at the campus/department level.

Approval for travel is required in advance by the appropriate campus/department supervisor authorizing the travel. A discretionary form for campus/department use is included in this section, for travel request approval from the supervisor.

• Day travel meals are paid at actual cost. Original itemized receipts must be submitted as supporting documentation.

• Overnight travel meals are paid at the per diem rates defined within this section.

• This form is for campus/department use, however if travel is approved with conditions, a copy should be attached to the Overnight Travel Expense Report form.

NOTE: Documentation for exceptions of eligible reimbursements for travel expenses must be submitted as part of reimbursement requests.

Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate

Northwest ISD is exempt from the state portion of the hotel tax. The six percent state hotel tax applies to charges for sleeping accommodations, meeting rooms and banquet rooms in a hotel or motel.

Cities, authorized counties and special purpose districts levy local hotel taxes at varying rates. These taxes will be paid by the district.

Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification

Tax-exempt district purchases: Internet, etc.

A school district is a political subdivision of the State of Texas and is, therefore, exempt from paying state sales tax. A tax number is not required for exemption. A tax exemption certification should be completed and sent to a vendor who has requested a tax number for his/her records.

Purchases by the school for educational or instructional use or for administrative use necessary to the educational function of the school are exempt from tax (office supplies, duplicating paper, etc.).

Vendors have the option of accepting a sales taxes exemption certificate from staff traveling with students for competitions/events, for the purchase of group meals.  Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification form must be presented at the time of purchase.

Individual members of the athletic team, band, etc., may not claim exemption from sales tax on the meals they purchase while on a school authorized trip.

Travel Report

Day travel reimbursements are processed using the Travel Report as a summary with original itemized receipts as supporting documentation.

Reimbursements for mileage should be processed monthly or at a minimum by calendar year end (Dec 31st) when the rates typically change, and by fiscal year end (June 30th) to record the expenses to the appropriate budget year.

  • Utilize the Travel Report form located under Forms on the Financial Services webpage.  Use the appropriate tab within the workbook relating to the period of time the travel occurred.
  • Original itemized receipts for meals, parking and other eligible travel expenses must be taped to a plain sheet of 8.5” x 11” paper.
  • See Mileage reimbursement information within the section of the Financial Services Procedures Manual.
    • In-District mileage will be reimbursed for travel within the district (district facility to district facility) on a per mile basis unless employee is receiving an annual travel stipend.

      The district technology department maintains an intra-district mileage tracker for use when tracking mileage within the district.  This form is located in the NISD Forms app on the district portal.  Search in the Start Process listing for the form named NISD - Mileage Calculation (Tech).

    • Out-of-District mileage will be reimbursed for travel outside the district on a per mile basis.  Employees who receive a travel stipend are only reimbursed for trips in excess of 50 miles one-way.

A printout from an internet mapping service documenting mileage from Point A to Point B must be included with reimbursement requests.  Reimbursements are calculated based on printed documentation.  A written statement or additional printout is required for any additional mileage.

The completed Travel Report with employee signature, date and supporting documentation is forwarded to the appropriate campus/department member for requisition entry.

Upon receipt of an approved purchase order the Travel Report and supporting documentation is forwarded to accounts payable for final processing.

NOTE:  Overnight travel reimbursements must be submitted using the Overnight Travel Expense Report.